Friday 19 December 2014

Crispy Fish Sandwich (by G)

The plan today was to make a shrimp po-boy but wouldn't you know it they sell all kinds of breaded seafood snacks but no shrimp.  I was contemplating breading and frying my own shrimp but the seafood section at the supermarket was a bit whiffy so I gave that idea a miss.  Instead I got some crunchy crumbed Hake from the freezer section and oven baked those.

The fish cooked up good and crispy (with a little blast under the grill). The secret to my fish sandwich was the onions - I fried them low and slow for over an hour to get them to an almost liquid consistency. The onions went on the base of the sandwich, then some Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, the fish and a smear of kewpie/chilli sauce blend - not sriracha this time but the super savoury Koon Yick Wah Kee chilli sauce.

I had some skinny fries in the freezer that I cooked up for a side. There weren't too many of those so I also served some prawn crackers as a tribute to my original intention for dinner.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Crunchy, tasty, satisfying. The 'fish' surprisingly tasted like fish. I was also tasked with eating the left-over prawn crackers for dessert. Done!