Wednesday 3 December 2014

Packet Indian (by G)

I was in no way feeling like making dinner but dinner had to be consumed by me, so I was in a bit of a quandary... then I remembered Indian meals in a packet - they are generally awesome.  Unlike other premade meals curries and such lend themselves to be batched up and re-heated.

After careful consideration at the spice place in the shopping centre I went with Dal Fry and Aloo Methi. I've had dal fry before - great flavour (like the man says, 'A tasty meal, anytime, anywhere). The Aloo Methi is described as, 'A highly popular blend of potatoes and aroma-packed fenugreek leaves (Green methi leaves) relished with Rice and Roti equality (sic) well'. They lied pretty badly with the photo on the packet - the photo on the packet looks fresh and vibrant and predominantly yellow and potatoey. What I got was plasticiney and the opposite of vibrant and predominantly sludge grey and mushy.  It was okay but I sure did ooze a lot of unpleasant looking oil.

It wouldn't be packet Indian without packet naan - I was lucky enough to find some packet garlic naan.  I actually prefer cheese and garlic naan so I topped them with some leftover 3 blend cheese before heating.  The naan were the best thing -  I ate two then spent about 45 minutes thinking how great they would be as a snack some other day but how great they would be as an unneeded dessert. Of course immediate greed won out and I ended up heating the other two up and stuffing them into my already distended belly.

All in this meal cost me less than $10 and would have fed at least 2 people - probably 4 with the addition a little rice.

No comments: