Wednesday 17 December 2014

Sweet Potato and Smoked Salmon Salad (by G)

I was going to make a salad for a work thing but bailed and bought supermarket salad instead, which left me with salad ingredients to repurpose for dinner.

My basic plan was to make Biggs' famous sweet potato salad but use smoked salmon instead of bacon (the night before I had seen Curtis and Benders Christmas special and Bender referred to salmon as the pork of the sea).

I can't remember if Biggs puts feta in her salad but I got some of the Danish stuff just to be on the safe side. As soon as I tasted the feta and had a sample of the smoked salmon I knew dinner would be good.

Along with the feta and salmon is some roasted sweet potato with a dusting of cumin, toasted pine nuts and a packet mix of rocket and baby spinach - I also added some Smalt (smoked salt). Actually, from now until I run out of smoked salt you can assume anything I make has a dash of smoked salt.

A note on the salmon - last week, while passing though the city markets, I thought I smelled and saw a stall selling smoked fish. I recall it having a sign saying 'Smokies'. Maybe they didn't return this week, or perhaps I imagined the whole thing, becasue the stall was not there. This salmon is from another stall that happened to sell smoked salmon - I bought a trio of salmon pieces each with different flavourings - dill, itallian herb and chilli. I don't know which one tastes best because they were all mushed together in the salad.

A note on the photo - it's a abit blurry. I can only assume that I knew dinner was going to be tasty and was in a hurry to take it.



1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was rich. VERY rich. But any dinner featuring smoked salmon is okay by me.