Tuesday 23 December 2014

Prawn, Corn and Bacon Tortillas (by G)

Well, this was planned to be an easy Tortilla Tuesday but turned out to be a bit more involved than expected.

The idea was to make a version of the  prawn, corn and bacon tortillas that Curtis Stone made on his casual Christmas show. It seemed easy. Indeed, it should have been easy. A mix of bad luck and bad planning contributed to make this less casual than I had hoped. Actually, now that I think about it Curtis was not making tortillas - just a prawn, corn, bacon and avocado conglomeration on a plate. Biggs asked me how you would eat something like that and I said, 'With tortillas'. 

The first difficulty was that I could not find any ripe avocados - I bought two anyway, like an idiot.  Next problem is that I didn't buy enough prawns, I should have just asked for more while I was at the seafood counter but hesitated too long.  To counter my first two difficulties I bought a container of avocado dip and (on the way home) stopped off at the seafood shop and bought some more prawns - unfortunately they didn't have any of the pealed kind so that was a bit of a dick around when I got home.

When I did get home I discovered I had not bought any tortilla wraps which meant I would have to make them from scratch - and that is something I have not done in a while.

In the end dinner was fine.  The tortillas were a bit thick and glossy. I mixed the avocado dip in with an almost ripe avocado, some coriander and lime juice - the dip was too creamy for my liking.  The prawns were fried with paprika, cumin, garlic powder and some lime - they were probably the highlight.

The other element - fried bacon and corn was improved by some good bacon, hickory smoked.

Biggs is a fine judge of how much corn is too much corn - I think she will agree there was too much corn.

No comments: