Tuesday 4 June 2013

Korean Style Beef Tortillas (by G)

This tortilla recipe was inspired by Roy Choi - I was following his recipes but did not really have all the ingredients (or time).  The meat is supposed to be short ribs but they were not available - I thought I'd bought thin cuts of Pork - at least I had meant to... but my eyes apparently wandered into the beef section and got thin cuts of beef instead - probably not a bad thing, I've been hitting the piggies a bit hard lately.

I quick marinated the steak in soy sauce, sugar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, toasted sesame seeds and some yuzu (as substitution for Korean pear). This was fried off and cut into little cubes.  The coriander/onion relish is a mix of those two things along with rice wine vinegar, lime juice and salt - I only just realized it was supposed to be a relish - I thought it was supposed to be a salad, that explains quantity.

The slaw is a mix of lettuce and cabbage with a dressing of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger and sirarcha.  Finally, the BBQ sauce was an amazing mix of soy sauce, sesame oil, more rice wine vinegar, more sriracha, sugar and (in substitute for gochunjang) I used some of the chunky, reddish looking stuff that comes from the tub with Korean writing on it that we have in the fridge that I sometimes use when I want savory to happen.

The tortillas were a bit dry.

This was well worth the time and effort to make - great zingy flavours. It really makes me want to try the real thing.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Jeebus! This was good. Fucking good. I had a quick review of Tortilla Tuesday and this is my favourite meal since April 2nd...and perhaps longer. Fucking good.