Friday 28 June 2013

Mushroom Pie with Mashed Potato (by Biggs)

I bailed on cooking last night which, reflecting on the awesome Philly Cheese Steaks, was an excellent decision. But, that meant vegetarian night was tonight. Vegetables on a Friday night is unheard of in our household (unless the blog states otherwise) so I didn't want to disappoint.

I made this mushroom pie because I had some success with it a while back and G seemed to enjoy it. Success was had again tonight. It's really just mushrooms, carrot, onion, vegetable stock, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, thyme.....and some time.

I used the classic chef trick of 50% butter for the mashed potato. G didn't add any sriracha so I guess dinner was pretty good.

1 comment:

G said...

I frequently knock vegetables (and rightly so, vegetables killed more people in 2012 than than ever before), but they can sometimes not be poisonous (see last week's vegetarian recipe) this pie was also good. Nice and savory - excellent combination with the potatoes and mash.

I had to check with Biggs as to how much MSG she had added because my heart started beating rapidly after the first mouthful - turns out it was just excited by the amount of butter in the potatoes.