Wednesday 19 June 2013

Risotto Rainbow (by G)

I couldn't get to sleep last night so I was thinking about what to make for dinner tonight - and then it came to me (possibly in a sleep deprived hallucination) - a rainbow of risottos.

For this eye-catching trio I cooked one risotto (shallot onions and garlic fried off in oil and butter - rice mixed through to coat with the oily stuff, a dash of wine then stock, stir, stock, stir, stock, stir...).  I thought I'd killed it when I underestimated how much stock I had left and dumped it all in, but it turned out okay.

Once the risotto was cooked I split it three ways and mixed through the colourings. The orange one is a mix of carrot and cumin, the green is pea and mint and the purple is beetroot and goat cheese.

I'm not sure if they turned out as I'd expected (I'm not sure I knew what to expect) but the rice was cooked and the flavour was good so I'm pretty happy.


2 comments:

Biggs said...

Anyone out there who thinks a Risotto Rainbow may be a bit contrived is wrong. This was yum! I know I've said I'm not super keen on rice but somehow the risotto making process removes the ricey-ness and results in awesomeness. Pea was minty, carrot was curry-y and beetroot was cheesy.

Biggs said...

What I most enjoyed about this dinner was that it involved a slosh of wine and guess who got to drink the remainder of the bottle?!