Wednesday 5 June 2013

Spatchcock (by G)

Someone at work told me there was a special on spatchcock at the supermarket so I picked up a couple on my way home.  

I buttered and oiled the birds and sprinkled over some salt and white pepper and oven roasted them for about twice the time required - I don't really like roasting chickens - after an hour the birds still looked a ghostly white but when I skewered the leg a jet of clear liquid came out so they appeared done. I stuck them under the grill to give them some colour.  

For sides I boiled and roasted some large potatoes then scooped them out and mashed the flesh with butter, milk, salt, pepper, spring onions and a couple of cloves of black garlic - the last ingredient giving the mash a caramelly appearance.  The mash went back into the potato, was topped with cheese then the whole lot went back into the oven.

The other side red onion and garlic fried in butter with red and white cabbage then braised in chicken stock and cider vinegar with brined green pepper corns added at the end.

The spatchcock came out nice and moist but I should have done more to add some flavor... the potatoes on the other hand, were (in my opinion) excellent.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Well, it's no secret I like little birds and this one sure didn't disappoint. I don't think I've had spatchcock before so was delighted to try it and was even more delighted after I ate it.

Green peppercorns good. Black garlic good.