Monday 17 June 2013

Pork Schnitzel (by G)

We were watching some cooking show on the weekend and Biggs (seeing them prepare chicken schnitzel) commented, 'I hope we're having that tonight'.

We were not (see below), but I did get a sudden hankering for schnitzel - not chicken though, too fiddly to pound out, so I went with pork.

Not too much effort went into this one (well the crumbing turned out to be a bit traumatic - in theory though the whole thing is simple).

Pounded the pork then floured, dipped in egg wash and coated in panko. The schnitzels absorbed much more butter than I expected them to do when frying off so I just kept feeding them the good stuff until they were happy.  Then I made the mistake of putting them on a tray and popping them in the oven to keep them warm - they did stay warm but the crumbing got soggy so I had to refry them prior to serving.

The sides were not complicated, oven fries with boiled peas and carrots, packet gravy and... because  we had peperoni... a couple of pieces of peperoni (non-traditional).

Despite not getting the schnitzels quite to my exacting standards it did taste pretty damn good - those people from German speaking countries know what they are doing.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Most days I think "I hope we're having schnitzel for dinner" and tonight it came true. Great, great, great. I've had some massive hot chip cravings lately too so, I repeat... great, great, great.