Wednesday 2 October 2013

Chicken, Bacon and Beef Noodle Soup (by G)

I had a grand plan to hand pull some noodles and serve them in a nice broth. I did some research about how to make the noodles and watched a few on-line videos. It seemed easy enough, make some dough - streach it out, boil and serve.

The problem I came across in the whole process is that it's not enough to just want good noodle dough, you've got to knead it. I hand kneaded mine for about half an hour but I could see it was still a long way off so I cracked the shits and just rolled it flat and hand cut it. I could have been a bit more precise with the cutting of the noodles, they turned out more like tagliatelle.

The broth was made by boiling a supermarket barbecue chicken carcass and some left over bacon bones in plain water for a few hours. Not shown is a short rib surprise at the bottom of the bowl under all those noodles - these were browned off, coated in a mix of miso, honey, ketjap manis and sesame oil then slow roasted in the over for 4 hours.

For toppings I made a mulch of coriander, mint, garlic, lime juice, seeded red chilli and fish sauce and also sprinkled on some (packet) fried onion and fried garlic.

I guess if I had to take a positive from tonight's meal it would be that I now know how to hand make tagliatelle.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

You know when you have a nice dinner then get to burp up the delicious flavour for the rest of the night and it makes the meal even more satisfying....that's where I'm at now. Happy days.