Wednesday 16 October 2013

Cebu Style Lechon with Spicy Potato Salad (by G)

When I was at the supermarket the other day I picked up some pork belly - I didn't really mean to, it was more an unconscious action.  Thinking what I should do with it I remembered that they know how to treat pork in the Philippines so I did an internet search and came across this preparation.

The pork is seasoned and slow roasted in the over for 2 hours over a mix of lemongrass, garlic and water - then soy sauce is brushed on the skin and the oven is turned up a bit to get a good crackle.  I followed the recipe exactly and, sure enough, the meat was tender and the skin had an excellent crunch to it.

With all that fat it was obvious that some vinegary side dished were required. I was planning on German potato salad but discovered we did not have some of the requirements so I boiled some potatoes and eggs and mixed through some home made chilli sauce (the chilli sauce was made with garlic, onions, tamarind paste, 24 Birdseye chillies, 1 regular red chilli, 1 scorpion 'hottest chilli in the world' chilli and some tomato puree). The chilli sauce, rather than turning out to be a blow-the-top-of-your-head-off hell brew, turned out to be moderately spicy and nicely savoury.

The other side dish is packet coleslaw with the dijonaise and vinegar dressing that Biggs had prepared last week.

Somehow (once again) a meal for 6 was polished off in one sitting - disgraceful... deliciously so...

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Fuck me this was delicious! I could eat buckets and buckets and buckets of this slow cooked pork and it came with heaps of bonus crackle. Fantastic.