Saturday 26 October 2013

Part Spit-roasted Pork (by G)

I had the ambition of spit-roasting pork on our own little barbeque at home. I got a battery powered spit roaster and worked out how to arrange it over the coals of our barbeque, threaded on a small pork roast and let it fly.  Unfortunately I hadn't really considered how long it would take to cook the meat - after an hour the meat was still basically raw so I bailed on the barbecue idea, chucked the meat into a super hot oven for another hour - then we ate it.

For sides I boiled up some potato pieces and fried them with bacon, white pepper, salt and garlic powder. I also fried up some onions with salt and a little vinegar.  The gravy came from a tin, but was mixed with some of the rendered pork fat for added flavour.

Despite mis-handling the meat it turned out to be delicious - probably the best pork I've ever had. 'Do you think the spit-roasting maybe added some flavour?', Biggs asked hopefully.  My suspicion is that it was just that the pork was organic and not the torture pigs we usually eat. Happy pigs are provably tastier.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This little piggy was super tasty. I was sad the whole BBQ / spit roast situation didn't work out so well but the pork sure did.

I think the flavour was enhanced by the homemade cheese I served for entrée. It tasted like bleach and urine. Compare to that dinner was sensational.