Sunday 6 October 2013

Sunday Roast (by G)

I was watching an episode of 'Save With Jaime' the other day and saw him make a roasted lamb shoulder, Biggs requested a roast for today so I went with it.

I'll be honest and say I didn't pay all that much attention to lord Jim (I was flicking the channel). I didn't see the start so I studded the shoulder with garlic and rosemary then stuck it in the oven for 3 hours (that much I did see), then Jim did something with the meat and put it back in for another hour (I uncovered it at that point).  I also saw him make some mint sauce (kind of) I covered some chopped mint with hot water, added sugar and vinegar and mixed it up.

For sides I roasted some potatoes, sweet potato and pumpkin (all a bit disappointing) and fried off some asparagus, bacon and quail eggs (I had them handy and couldn't imagine when I might use them in the near future).

The potatoes were frustratingly not good, I was trying to get them crispy and good - but they were not.

3 comments:

Biggs said...

G is so critical of himself. This was awesome. So delicious. The meat was tender and the mint sauce was super tasty.

Vegetables are a necessary evil and if you're going to have them you want them fried with bacon and eggs like these ones were.

I don't know if we exactly 'saved with Jamie' and we're likely to snack on the leftovers all night but he sure knows a thing or two about cooking...as does G.

Nell said...

Looks good! Your guest would have loved it. I hope she wiped the dishes for you two after dinner though

Biggs said...

Our guest did love it and was very grateful.....she even offered to do the washing up! She said you guys are excellent at doing that immediately after dinner.....doesn't happen in our house.