Saturday 12 October 2013

Mussel and Brie Pie (by G)

I've been having difficulty fitting into my pants lately so I though I should make something super healthy for dinner... then I remembered that we had some left-over smoked mussels in the fridge that I should probably use sooner rather than later. When I did an internet search of smoked mussel recipes I found one for a pie topped with brie.  It did not meet the healthy criteria but it did meet the use-up-the-mussels brief.

The pie starts off by frying off the holy trinity (I know this is the term for the use of onion, capsicum and celery in gumbo but my personal holy trinity is bacon, onion and garlic <BOG>).  Once they were ready the chopped mussels were added along with lemon juice. This was all tipped into a pastry filled tin, topped with and egg/milk mix and brie cheese then oven baked.  The recipe called for filo pastry - unfortunately I broke all the filo when getting it out of the packed so had to resort to puff pastry.

We still had a quantity of pate leftover so I toasted some breadstick rounds and topped them with pate. Also served was a green salad. I took a bit of a late afternoon nap and, as a result, was a little time poor so instead of preparing a vinaigrette for the salad leaves I just served them plain.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Hmmm....my brain couldn't quite reconcile the idea of mussels and brie in a pie but.... I do like a pie.

And holy bejesus G did an awesome job on the pate. I'd happily be force-fed that until my liver exploded and was made into pate.