Sunday 13 October 2013

Spicy Barbecued Chicken with Skewers (by G)

I figured Biggs and I could take a break from the healthy eating for one night and that, being Sunday, a barbecue would be in order so I whizzed up some green chillies and garlic along with some olive oil, white pepper and paprika and marinated a couple of spatchcocks.

After a few hours of marinating the bird went over the coals until charry-good then into the oven while I cooked up the skewers.  The original idea was to have vegetable skewers but I picked up chorizo and haloumi at the supermarket and I recognised their skewering potential immediately. Also on the skewers were red capsicum and some shallots (that I had previously blanched).  The skewers were not the ideal barbecue item because the cheese kept trying to escape (and infact a couple of cubes did manage to escape). 

I forgot that I was also going to put mushrooms on the skewers so I fried these off with some left over shallots and capsicum and some chives. We had leftover garlic butter and anchovy butter in the fridge so I used these to fry the mushrooms in.

On the whole the meal was pretty good. The skewers could have done to be cooked a bit more and the chicken marinade could have imparted a bit more flavour - but any day the barbecue gets fired up is a good day.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was tasty. BBQs make me happy and I thought the char on the chicken with a little chilli hit was good.

Chorizo....winner.