Monday 21 October 2013

Breakfast Salad (by Biggs)

After bailing on making dinner last Thursday night I found myself in a cooking debt so was put in charge of this evening's meal. I decided to make a version of a Breakfast Salad I once had at Lock 'n' Load, a cafe in West End. The salad was spinach, toasted bread with garlic, fried tomatoes, bacon, sausages and a boiled egg. I also made a fairly sensational dressing from wholegrain mustard, olive oil and a touch of balsamic. 

Yesterday I was watching a Wylie "The Eggman" Dufresne interview and he mentioned that adding bi-carb to the water you cook eggs in raises the PH, impacting the membrane between the shell and the white making them easier to peel. After thinking about it all day, I forgot to actually do that at the crucial moment. I won't forget again because peeling the eggs was super frustrating, painful and time-consuming. 

For those of you who doubt this dinner actually constitutes a salad, look it up. A "salad is a popular, ready-to-eat dish made of diverse ingredients, usually served chilled or at a moderate temperature". After I'd stuffed about for 15 minutes peeling the eggs dinner was definitely at a moderate temperature. 

I think I've adapted the recipe a fair bit from the original but the ingredients are so versatile how can you go wrong?


1 comment:

G said...

It is exactly that loose definition of 'salad' that makes salad so popular - in the US a combination of marshmallows, pineapple and sour cream is referred to as a 'salad'... not that I'm complaining. Less spinich and tomato, more bacon and sausages I say... infact there are more sausages and bacon left over. I'll be healthy in no time.