Friday 21 March 2014

Beef With a Vegetable Medley in Gravy (by G)

I got a beef rib roast out of the freezer yesterday with not much of an idea what to do with it. Presumably the idea is to roast it - I even meant to look on the internet today and confirm that but got a bit busy and forgot. Rather than go all gung-ho with the roasting strategy I decided to cut the beef lump in two and simmer it/them in beef stock for a couple of hours, then fry the two halves and serve them with a medley of vegetables.

The vegetables (cauliflower, carrot, mushrooms and broccolini stems) were boiled in some of the stock that had been used to cook the beef - I added a punt load of butter at the end to thicken up the sauce (hence the glossy look in the photo).

Biggs dreads vegetable delivery day - and for good reason, that is normally when my vegetables are delivered - she seemed okay with this salty, buttery preparation though.  I liked the beef fat - it had jellyfied. It really was good meat.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was excellent. I usually would have put the meat to the side of my plate to save the best for last but the meat and vegetables were of equal excellence.

G warned me that dinner might be salty but it turned out to be savoury perfection.

I like mushrooms.