Wednesday 12 March 2014

Crab Cakes (by Biggs)

These are allegedly Jamie Oliver crab cakes but I suspect he does things a little differently to how I did them. To start with I suspect he doesn't use tinned crab. I wouldn't have either but after searching in fish mongers, seafood counters and delis I couldn't locate any non-tinned crab. It didn't even look very good in the serving suggestion photo on the front of the tin but I stupidly went with it anyway.

But, I probably can't blame tonight's dinner mess entirely on the crab. I think I overcooked the potato, didn't drain the crab properly and also added an egg that wasn't really required. After all that the "cakes" were pretty sloppy. I also added some parsley, spring onions and cayenne pepper. The recipe suggested putting them in the fridge for half an hour which I thought was a good idea to firm them up a bit. Instead, they just got sloppier and ended up in a pool of liquid. 

I fried them up regardless. G was impressed that I managed to fry up crab "soup". I served them with tartare sauce from a jar, snow peas, carrots and tomato.

1 comment:

G said...

More impressive than being able to fry soup, Biggs was able to crumb it first... what an achievement.

I liked the cayenne hit and any day I get to eat a large quantity of tartare sauce is a good day.

I was incidentally quite unwell the next day but Biggs assures me it was not the crab cakes.