Sunday 2 March 2014

Sausages, Crisps and Salad (by Biggs)

Yesterday I decided I wanted to try out a real butcher that I'd never been to. The plan was to buy G a variety of sausages and it looked like the best bet was going to be Heinz Meats a German Butcher a couple of suburbs over. I highly recommend it based on the fact they sell big bags of "butcher's lollies".....crackling. 

The sausages I chose were: 
  • Thuringer Bratwurst: mild German sausage with caraway, coriander, nutmeg and marjoram
  • Red Wine Calabrese: chunky pork with red wine, paprika, fennel seeds and a touch of chili
  • Cumberland: English breakfast sausage, pork with bacon, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and nutmeg
  • Merguez: spicy North African beef and lamb, a touch of chili, paprika and cumin
All quite good but I overcooked them as a result of a fear I would undercook them and I thought the red wine in the calabrese was a bit much. I prefer it in liquid form. The cumberland with bacon was unsurprisingly my favourite. 

I served it with salad and crisps. The salad was lettuce, cucumber, tomato, carrot and capsicum. I doused mine with french dressing from a bottle which was a delightful throwback to our youth. 

1 comment:

G said...

My favourite was the Bratwurst - it was the biggest.

As much as I like sausages it is nice to have a side salad to cut through the meatiness. All things considered I'll die happy tonight.