Thursday 20 March 2014

Prawn and Soba Noodles (by Biggs)

I watched Zoe from Good Chef Bad Chef cook a prawn and soba noodle dish the other day and it looked like a pretty good deal to me so I decided to make something similar for dinner.

Her recipe was prawn and garlic chives but I couldn't find any chives at all let alone garlic chives so instead used the last of the spring onions from the garden. Beyond that, dinner was banana prawns (the only prawns available), garlic, soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and soba noodles. 

I did buy two individual packets of soba noodles but somewhere between the grocery store and the house one packet mysteriously disappeared. Weird! Thankfully, I found a packet of soba noodles in the pantry which beefed things out a bit. 

I also added an ingredient I suspect Zoe wouldn't be too keen on - the old Monosodium glutamate. I think G noticed almost immediately when he comment on the savoury-ness of dinner, 

So, dinner was fine but I've got to be honest, shelling the raw prawns was the most revolting thing I remember doing in recent history. I didn't think I was too bothered by prawns. We even grew up next door to prawn trawler folk but boy, I was fairly sickened during the process. I guess I've only ever bought them pre-shelled or already cooked lately. The raw, slimey, fleshy, stinky, bloody, poo-ey, spikey critters almost (almost) put me off my dinner. A quick vomit upstairs and I was back on track. 

1 comment:

G said...

I like it when other people cook seafood - that way I don't have to deal with it. The flavours with dinner were really good - unfortunately I masked them a bit with sriracha.

Zoe's buddy says, 'Salt loves meat and meat loves salt' but MSG loves everything.