Monday 17 March 2014

Roasted Corned Beef and Sides (by G)

The protein tonight has had a hell of a time.

First someone at the supermarket corned him (I looked it up 'corning' is a real thing - 'cornholing' is also a real thing, but a whole other type of thing), then I simmered him in a stock of vegetables (onion, celery, carrot, garlic, some pepper corns, a little vinegar), then I smeared him with a glaze of miso, okanomi and sriracha (the same glaze I used on the pork ribs the other day) and oven roasted him for about an hour and a half.

That last bit was a bit of a technical error - I got a bit too keen and put the beef in about half an hour earlier than intended. The meat dried out a little but it was okay - I drizzled the finished meat with some of the glaze thinned down with some rice wine vinegar.

The sides consisted of vegetables I was keen to use up. Some beans and broccolini were blanched then fried off with a bacon like product that came pre cut in a plastic box.  Some cabbage was fried off and mixed with a cheese sauce. That is the extent of the sides - a good time was had by all.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Two slabs of meat with vegetables hidden under masses of cheese and pig. Who wouldn't be happy?

The glaze on the beef was brilliant.