Sunday 30 March 2014

Buta No Kakuni (by Biggs)

I had done menu planning right up until I go on holidays in mid-April but caught a bit of Good Chef Bad Chef yesterday and immediately changed my Sunday night plan to this Japanese Pork Belly dish I saw Adrian Richardson cook up.

I've never cooked pork belly before but turns out it's very easy to cook (dump it in a broth to simmer for hours and serve) and very cheap to buy ($4.40 for two large servings).

The broth was carrot, celery, onion, spring onions, ginger, mirin, soy sauce and vegetable stock. After a couple of hours of simmering the pork belly I added some more spring onion, ginger and some bok choy.

Served with udon noodle and boiled eggs.....delicious.

Now I'm off to write an angry letter to Curtis Stone with regards to the fact there was no fresh ginger available at the supermarket he promotes. I was forced to use that jarred ginger shit instead. Sigh.

1 comment:

G said...

I hardly think it is fair to blame the current ginger shortage on Curtis Stone - as he, no doubt, knows - the MIC has advised ginger farmers in India to store their crops until May when prices are higher... never-the-less, this was one of the to 3 pork belly dishes I've ever had - one of which was at an awesome Japanese restaurant down a dark alley in Perth.

Yes, this was a very good pork dish.