Friday 7 March 2014

Spinach and Potato Pie (by G)

Spinach and Potato pie was one of my favourite things when I was a lot younger, so I thought I'd take a crack at making one.  I did look up a recipe, it seemed pretty simple so I didn't bother writing it down. Not a huge issue but it meant not exactly knowing what quantities of which I needed.

I boiled up three peeled potatoes - that seemed like a lot of potato, then I steamed some silverbeet (I'm not sure the difference between that and spinach) - it seemed like a lot of silverbeet. To those items I added some spring onions, cheese (I don't remember that from my youth), cayenne pepper (also not authentic), nutmeg (not my favourite spice in the world), salt and black pepper and a couple of eggs to bind. That mix went into a puff pastry lined tin and was baked for half an hour.

Last week I bought what was described as 'smart tool' which is basically a small mandolin slicer. Get used to seeing thin sliced things on the blog from now on (until I loose a finger).

I was pretty content with this dinner - the cheese was a good addition, the cayenne was really good and the nutmeg didn't spoil the flavour.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I don't have a lot to say but I liked this dinner quite a lot.

I very much like puffed pastry.