Wednesday 19 March 2014

Eastern European Style Pork Balls (by G)

I had planned to make Pelmeni (pork mince filled dumplings) today but it involved making a dough; by the time I'd left work I downgraded to using premade dumpling wrappers; by the time I got home I'd decided just to do the filling and no wrapping.

So the mince was mixed with an uninspiring combination of onion and garlic, salt and pepper. I balled the mince up and fried the balls with some boiled potato (for starch).  Once done I plated the balls and tats on a bed of lettuce, sprinkled with paprika and garlic powder (for flavour), dried parsley flakes (because I don't see how we will ever get through a whole jar unless it is used superfluously) and a huge dollop of sour cream (that was actually in the recipe).

The balls were not very flavourful - Biggs suggested adding sriracha, then I remembered that the Pelmeni recipe said to serve with soy sauce, I'd even bought some specially. I also bought sesame oil today because we haven't owned any for ages - the oil with the sriracha and soy was an amazing combination.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Oh boy, I was pretty happy with dinner until I knew the original plan of Pelmeni. That would have been good.

These little balls were good though, especially once flavour was added.

The lettuce was a bit too lettucey for my liking.