Tuesday 18 March 2014

Chicken Tortilla Soup (by Biggs)

Chicken Tortilla Soup was one of the first recipes I found when I was initially researching tortilla recipes for Tuesdays. I thought it was a bit of a stretch on the theme but have pretty well run out of unique tortilla ideas so tonight was the night.

First I shredded up some BBQ chicken serving the extra bits (legs and wings) as an afternoon snack for G and I. Then I cooked up a vat of soup - chicken stock, tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilli, corn, black beans, lime juice and coriander.

I almost made a fatal error oven baking strips of tortilla but saved them from burning with seconds to spare.

The idea is that you put a handful of chicken in the bottom of a bowl, pour over some soup, then top it with cheese, toasted tortilla strips and more lime if desired. I let G top his own and also provided the option of sriracha as is the custom in our household.

1 comment:

G said...

This was a good dinner because it was basically a big bowl of little bits of things - which was very entertaining.

Tortillas on the side is a good thing also because I don't like it when things are baked to crispy perfection then destroyed by moisture.