Sunday 22 June 2014

Bali Fried Chicken and Festive Rice (By G)

I was casting about for a curry recipe the other day but could not find exactly what I was looking for - the search led me to 'The Complete Asian Cookbook' by Charmaine Soloman. I didn't find the curry recipe I was looking for but I did find a recipe for Balinese style fried chicken.  As is so often the case these days I decided to make something based solely on the name.

Firstly I dissected a chicken into 10 pieced then fried the pieces and popped them in the oven for a while to keep warm. Next I fried a pre-whizzed mix of green chilli, onion, garlic, ginger and macadamia nuts (as a substitute for candle nuts) - then I added sugar, lemon juice and coconut milk and placed the chicken back in the sauce and simmered it for nearly half an hour.

Given there is a whole Indonesian section in the book I concluded I should do an appropriate side dish.  Festive rice is basically fried onion and garlic with rice, turmeric and curry leaves simmered in coconut milk. There was an option to add pandanus leaf but it wasn't convenient for me - also it should have been served in banana leaf. That was also inconvenient though I concede it would have made dinner somewhat more festive.



1 comment:

Biggs said...

I thought the chicken and sauce was a winner. Chicken was perfectly cooked and not too much coconut flavour.

The rice had quite a bit of coconut flavour but mixed with the sauce it too was quite delicious.