Sunday 15 June 2014

Koulakli Manti and Salad Olivier (by Biggs)

I was wanting to make some type of dumplings and thought these little Greek ones looked do-able. It's just a simple dough, filled with beef mince and oven-baked. I 'flavoured' the mince with salt, pepper, onion and parsley but, even served with garlic yoghurt, they were still fairly dry and flavourless.

What was good was the Russian salad I served with it. Why I chose a Russian salad to go with the Greek dumplings I have no idea and realised too late in the plan that I had accidently stumbled accross a horror fusion.

The salad is potato, carrot, peas, pickled cucumber, eggs, spring onions, dill and liverwurst (in place of bologna) in mayonnaise. Sounds weird right? But, 'twas actually quite awesome. I replaced the bologna with liverwurst because the only bologna I could find in the supermarket was in a half kilo block which I really thought was a bit too much bologna for one household to own.

1 comment:

G said...

This was the best salad I've had in a long while - possibly the only salad I've had in a long while, but it certainly was excellent. It's frik'n cold today so the dumplings were helpfully warming.