Monday 2 June 2014

Cassoulet (by G)

This was the meal we were meant to have on Sunday but I didn't get around making to due to beer related demotivation.

I think it was supposed to take about 4 hours to cook but, being a Monday night, I squeezed the cooking into 2 hours.

I won't go into too much detail other than to say that I almost exactly followed a recipe by Guillaume Brahimi (he speaks with a French accent so I'm pretty sure it's the genuine deal).  The main differences were that veal stock was not available in my limited field of shopping opportunities so I substituted with a mix of beef and vegetable (which is virtually the same thing with less animal abuse). I also couldn't find the correct beans so I got white beans - I don't know what white beans are exactly but they were the right colour and they were called beans so they seemed okay. I also substituted brioche crumbs for Krummies brand bread crumbs (and way to many of them at that) so the cassoulet turned out a bit thick.

I was pretty impressed with the result given my lack of enthusiasm for cooking something so complicated on a Monday.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This cassoulet was fine.

The 'lots of meats' though were most excellent.

They were also all the best 'lots of meats'.

Happy.