Saturday 14 June 2014

Osso Buco (by G)

To be honest I forgot that Biggs was dining out today - I probably wouldn't have made such a large and hearty dinner otherwise. I already had the veal shins so I went ahead regardless.

It's a really easy dish if you've got 6 hours for it to slow cook. Dust the veal shin with flour and fry them to get some colour. Saute some carrot, celery, garlic and onion, add tomato paste, wine and some tinned tomatoes along with some stock and Italian herbs then just pop it in the oven and leave it for hours and hours. I don't have wine so I used sake.

I made some awesome mashed potato with heaps of salt and butter to serve my osso buco on. The osso buco tuned out a bit intense because (at the critical moment) I forgot I was halving the recipe and added twice the amount of tomatoes required.

Osso Buco is Italian for 'bone with a hole' so as long as you get the right cut of meat you can't really fail.

No comments: