Friday 6 June 2014

Dwaejibulgogi and Sides (by G)

I had a Korean Kraving and after some recipe research decided to make Dwaejibulgogi - pork belly in a marinade of pear, grated onion, garlic, ginger, spring onion, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and hot bean paste.

Despite marinating the meat and frying it the resulting flavour was a bit muted so I added the pork back into the marinade, added some chilli paste and cooked the crap out of it in a smoking hot oven. Once done I sprinkled it with some roasted sesame seeds for added authenticity.

One think I like about Korean food is the multitude of sides so I decided to do as many as I could do in a reasonable amount of time. The sliced green chilli and garlic was easy. Also the kim chi (which came pre-made from a tub). The snow pea shoots were not hard - snow pea shoots, minced garlic, salt with sesame oil and sesame seeds to finish. Also not difficult was the bean sprout salad - quickly boiled sprouts with chilli flakes, garlic powder, soy sauce, sliced red chilli and sesame seeds and oil to finish.

My lasting impression of this meal is that it was pretty flavourful and not at all difficult to make. If I didn't have a massive aversion to washing-up I would do this again but with a dozen side dishes (and maybe a more intense marinade).


1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was very delicious. The sprouts were particularly tasty with salt, garlic and sesame oil.

The pork, though, was my favourite bit.