Thursday 12 June 2014

Duck with White Bean Puree and Veg (by G)

There have been a couple of duck breasts kicking about in the freezer since I made cassoulet - not the nice fancy looking ones you get in the supermarket, they were a bit raggedy because I'd broken down the duck myself.

I coated the breasts in a dry rub of allspice, cumin, garlic powder, white pepper and a pinch of cayenne pepper (note that I've avoided all double entendres relating to rubbing and breasts - kudos to me). You can't just fry duck breasts at a high heat like other proteins, you have to treat it right to render the fat and crispy the skin. I was a bit too respectful and cooked the duck at too low a temperature - resulting in not very crispy skin.

I tried to make a white bean puree as well - I succeeded in that it was a puree but it did not quite live up to my expectations. It was a blended mix of white beans, garlic, shallot, thyme, bay leaf and chicken stock - I took the bay leaf out before blending but I think it had already added too much flavour.

Also for sides I fried a pre-packaged vegetable medley (new to my supermarket of choice - a brilliant overpriced mix of carrot, celery and onion) - I added some chicken stock at the end because vegetables are evil and chicken juice is a good influence).

I also oven roasted some tiny kipfler potatoes because they were tiny and I had to own them - they didn't roast up too well.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

G sure does plate like a demon.

He promised me a solid 6 for healthfulness and a solid 5 for flavour.

I would give him a 6 and a 6 which is pretty much 12 out of 10 if my maths is correct.

Oddly, the duck was the least flavourful thing on the plate.