Thursday 19 February 2015

Caramel Pork and Bread (by G)

This was a bit of a slap dash meal based on a Lao Caramel Pork recipe. Biggs had planned to be at work late and I had only limited time to cook so I decided it didn't really matter much what I had for dinner as I would be the only one to eat it. As it turned out Biggs was home, but I thing I delivered something fairly edible.

I fried some pork sirloin to get some colour on it, then cut it into cubes and simmered it in a broth of soy sauce, fish sauce, vegetable stock, red chilli, garlic and ginger. Towards the end I added some boiled eggs and coriander and served the whole lot on a bed of mixed lettuce leaves and with a side of homemade bread.

I was very concerned about the pork most of the way through the cooking time because it was sandshoe tough - somehow, however, just as it was time to serve, it became tender and delicious.  This is down to luck because I recipe I loosely based this meal on called for 3 times the cooking time (also a lot of other things I did not have time to do).

All in all, a very creditable meal in a hurry.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

Once again, super delicious. Such good flavours. Happy eating.