Sunday 1 February 2015

Labskaus (by G)

I saw TVs Rick Stein travel to German on the TV this week. He made some horrendous combination of mashed potato and corned beer called labskaus. I had corned beef and some potatoes and decided I too should make labskaus. It was also my opportunity to try out my new toy - a real food processor.

To get things started I coarsely grated some onion and corned beef in the processor, fried them for a little then added some commercial beetroot from a tin, some stock and a lot of mashed potato (also make in the food processor - with the dough attachment). Then I simmered the vivid looking goop until it had thickened up nicely, then served it - topped with a couple of fried eggs, as is the custom.

For a side I mixed some sauerkraut through a packet coleslaw mix and dressed it with some mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.

I must say, I thought the labskaus had good flavour but a challenging texture. I later discovered I had picked up butter milk from the supermarket instead of regular milk from the supermarket, which would explain why the mashed potatoes turned out so oddly - I had put that down to having made them in a food processor.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was a little odd but tasted good enough. I think toast of some description would have really improved things.

The eggs were impressively cooked.