Saturday 28 February 2015

Smoked Chicken and Potato Ragout (by Biggs)

I decided to try another 'easy but impressive' BBC meal tonight but ran into trouble at the supermarket. They didn't have any spatchcock or quails or even little chickens that the recipe called for. I finally went with the smallest chicken I could find but when I got to the checkout I discovered it was smoked and therefore pre-cooked. But, it as too late to turn back.

I heated the smoked chicken on a bed of potato ragout and served dinner with snow peas. The ragout was bacon lardons, potatoes and mushrooms stewed in beer. The recipe called for wine but we only had beer. The other thing I added was porcini salt. I recently bought Dan some smoked salt and he, in return, gifted me some porcini salt. I was a bit gun shy so probably didn't add enough but teamed with some fresh parsley it was pretty great.

The chicken was odd.

1 comment:

G said...

I've had smoked chicken once before (I reheated it myself) and it was much odder than Biggs' preparation. The ragout was excellent.