Tuesday 17 February 2015

Chicken Arepas (by G)

I found an awesome and time consuming tortilla recipe recently that I want to try out but, as Biggs was not going to be home I decided to do something else for the time being.

The arepas are home made (as you can tell from the appearance) made from mesa, salt and water. I blitzed the dough according to the exacting proportions provided on the bag of mesa and discovered it was too wet. Rather than correct that I decided to trust the packet, which was a mistake.

The arepa buns were hard to form and fry with such a wet dough but I managed it. The filling is a mix of grilled chicken breast, avocado, habanero, coriander and some mixed herbs and red chilli I had left over from the other night... also some mayonnaise. For some reason I went with a new wasabi mayo from Kewpie - it is very chemically and weird.

With the soggy arepas and weird wasabi filling I was a bit reluctant to try dinner, but it turned out to be delicious. Arepas are one for the list of things to try again and improve upon.

No comments: