Saturday 7 February 2015

Pork Knuckle (by G)

I was so excited to make pork knuckle, then did a mediocre job of it (isn't that always the way).  My excuse is that I got some bad advice from the internet. I dusted the knuckles in salt, pepper and some ground coriander then popped them into a shallow beer bath then oven roasted them for 4 hours while I took a nap. After 4 hours I tried to get the crackle going under the grill but that didn't really happen.

The meat was almost fork tender, but not quite - which is the worst kind of fort tender. I think it could have used another couple of hours.

For sides there was sauerkraut from a jar and beetroot from a can. I also roasted up some cubes of potato - I had intended to dust these with garlic powder but it had solidified in the jar so I seasoned them with salt and mustard powder instead.

The best thing about dinner was the small quantity of thick rich gravy that I made from the dehydrated beer and pork drippings from the bottom of the roasting pan.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This isn't the worst pork knuckle I've ever had but a little more crackle would have gone well. The sides and gravy and meaty bits of the knuckle were incredible.