Saturday 9 August 2014

Beef Cheeks and Mushrooms in Red Wine (by G)

I found beef cheeks in the supermarket the other day - it was so unexpected that I loaded up. Apparently beef cheeks come in pairs so I managed to cook up two cows worth.

I seasoned and floured the cheeks then fried them. After that I added them to a liquor of fried onion, carrot, red wine, beef stock and mushrooms of the button and shiitake type.

After about 4 hours I served them on a bed of potato, I'd say mashed potato but it was a bit sloppier than that - I added some of the poaching liquid and milk to the mash, as well as some spring onion so it was not as snow white as it would otherwise have been.

For a sauce I reduced the red wine and mushroom sauce and added butter - nothing beats butter for wholesome goodness...

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was tasty. I was pumped from the minute I heard it was happening. Our house smelt delicious all afternoon as the cheeks were cooking down and by the time it was presented my taste buds were watering uncontrollably....and were not disappointed.