Monday 11 August 2014

Memphis Style Pork Ribs (by G)

Seeing as Biggs and I are having an unofficial pork-rib off I decided to go all. After a lot of contemplation I decided to do a dry rub Memphis style.

The rub was a mix of paprika, black pepper, brown sugar, salt, celery salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, mustard powder and cumin.  To ensure maximum flavour I sealed the ribs in vacuum bags after they had been rubbed dry then left them over night.

I did have a plan to lightly smoke the ribs but my little smoker would not co-operate so I just oven roasted them. The original plan was to mop the ribs with a cider vinegar/mustard mix as they cooked - at the last minute I read that this is not always a good idea as it washes the rub off. That sounded like a bad thing so I opted not to mop - in hindsight I think this may have been a mistake because the quantity of paprika got a bit overpowering.

Apparently baked beans are a legitimate side for pork ribs so I cracked a can and stirred through some fried bacon for added flavour. You can't have dinner baked beans without tinned tiny tatters - I fried these in butter and mixed through parsley at the end.

I don't know that this was a winner but it wan't a looser either.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Well, no one won the pork ribs but certainly no one lost. These were good. The paprika sure was present. I loved the incorporation of ribs into one of our favourite meals - Cowboy's Breakfast.