Wednesday 20 August 2014

Lasagna (by Biggs)

I recently had a hankering for lasagna and because I'm an adult I decided to go right ahead and satisfy my urges. I was soooooo tired (read: hung over) on the bus to work this morning that I couldn't fathom having to chop a bunch of garlic this evening (I planned to make the lasagna super garlic-y) and was considering spending my last $10 on a garlic press instead of (more) beer. But, the garlic press is a pretty controversial item and I didn't want to end up on the wrong side of the fence. A guy I respect more than most people, in fact almost all people, once said of the garlic press, "abomination....I don't know what that junk is that squeezes out the end of those things, but it ain't garlic" and "if you use a press you'll surely go to hell". I did a little bit more research and in the end decided however lazy I am I wasn't going to risk purgatory.

I got straight into making dinner as soon as I got home (after a quick beer) and thought it was all going to plan until I accidentally made cheese sauce instead of bechamel and thought there was a chance it might kill us in richness but it turned out not tasting like much anyway. The mince was okay thanks to the addition of sriracha, Worcestershire and wine. But, as another well respected guy says, "flavour plus bland equals bland". As a result dinner was a little average.

It was definitely enhanced by a side of pickled bits and pieces however I can't really take credit for that given they were left over from G's dinner last night. There was also garlic bread....I didn't make that either.

1 comment:

G said...

I happen to know that Biggs is purgatory bound regardless of how much garlic she presses - never-the-less it was a pretty good lasagna. The pickles were a nice touch.