Wednesday 27 August 2014

Ham Steak Burgers with Homemade Fries (by G)

I had the idea to make a burger with ham steak as the patty... and made it happen. I kind of knew I wasn't going to find ham steaks at the supermarket (Biggs has since advise me that you get them from the deli). After a fruitless search I finally decided to buy a small ham and steak it myself.

The burger was pretty simple - onions and mushrooms cooked low for about an hour, salt, garlic powder and dry-fresh thyme added. I fried off the ham steaks. To make the burger I topped a butter and garlic toasted bun with the onion/mushroom mix, the ham steak, cheese slices and an egg.

I attempted to make my own home made hand cut potato and sweet potato fried. I mean, I made them, but they didn't turn out as consistently crispy as I had hoped.

To make the fries I used Biggs' mandolin to get the shape right. After that I simmered the potato (both plain and sweet) in salted water then dried them, coated them in oil and oven roasted them. I added some salt and garlic powder to get the job done.

This didn't quite meet my expectations. It was something different and not terrible - winner!



1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was good. Mostly dinner is good. The best bit was the salty infused chips....delicious.