Monday 4 August 2014

Sausages with Caponata (by Biggs)

I'm still trying to squeeze some value out of my recent purchase of a Delicious magazine so had a flick through over the weekend. One recipe caught my eye because it was essentially a pile of sausages and I have a brother who likes sausages.

The caponata was made by cooking down some eggplant, capsicum, onion, garlic and carrot down in a tin of tomatoes with some tomato paste, red wine vinegar and fennel seeds. That's the last time I use fennel seeds. Everyone seems to think it's a grand idea with pork but just a teaspoon really over-powered the sauce (I'm not sure if it was meant to be a sauce - the resulting meal looked very different to the photo in the magazine). I added a bucket of salt, pepper and parsley to try and balance things out.

In keeping with my promise of 'bread with every meal' I cooked up some garlic bread as well.

The magazine said that 'caponata adds zing to all kinds of meat.....'. I made sure of the zing by adding some last minute sriracha. I'm not certain this was Delicious exactly, perhaps they should rename the magazine...'Pretty good, I guess'.

1 comment:

G said...

It seems an age since we last had sausages - I like sausages. The caponata was pretty rich and good, the eggplant was well disguised - which is just the way I like it.