Monday 25 August 2014

Home Made Sausage kind-of-thing with Asian Slaw (by G)

Apparently I don't know much about leeks. Biggs used some leeks for Sunday dinner and offered me the tops - I though the tops were hollow for some reason so I was going to use them as a sort of non-edible sausage skin.  When I discovered that leek tops are not hollow I chopped up some of the tenderer bits and fried it along with some shallot and garlic. I mixed the fried bits, along with chopped coriander, red chilli, lemon grass and lemon zest through some pork mince. I also added some pepper, soy sauce, Korean barbecue sauce and a touch of sesame oil.

I did use a couple of the bigger leek fronds to form two big sausages which I oven baked for about 40 minutes.  I though it would be good to chop the sausages into segments and fry them off to get some colour, but they were quite dry so I bailed on that plan.

I made a bit of a slaw to accompany the sausage. Cabbage, red capsicum, red chilli, cucumber and a bunch of coriander - dressed with a fish sauce, soy, lime juice combo. I also reduced some of the dressing in a pan to provide a bit of gravy for the meat.

Overall dinner was okay - as mentioned, the sausage mince got quite dry. It did not live up to the idea in my head.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

It was so nice to have some lovely Vietnamese flavours. I feel like it's been a while.....like, a night or two.

For that reason alone I thought dinner was splendid. And who the hell makes their own leek sausage. G - that's who.