Tuesday 19 August 2014

Korean Pork and Pickle Tortillas (by G)

I had a hankering to make pork belly tortillas, but we've had quite a bit of belly lately so I went with a cheaper cut of pork - the neck.  After slicing the pork I marinated it for about 22 ours in Korean BBQ Sauce from a jar.  Come dinner time I pan fried the slices to get them started then put them in a super hot oven to get chary.

Once the meat looked nearly done I tried a bit and found it to be quite hot - perhaps too hot for Biggs. I had another little piece to confirm my first assessment, then I added some way-out-of-date okonomiyaki sauce to dilute the heat a little. After a bit more time in the oven I tried another bit and found it to still be quite hot so I added more sweet sauce and some more oven time. Another tasting of the meat revealed it was just right, I ate another little bit of meat just to be sure.

To compliment the meat I made some pickled vegetables - red onion, cucumber, jalapenos, red chilli and garlic chopped up and mixed with equal parts salt and sugar, then some cider vinegar.  While the pickle was curing I looked through the fridge for bits and pieces of vegetables I could utilise. In the end I managed to also pickle the nub end of a cabbage, half a carrot and 6 tiny tomatoes.

The pickle turned out a bit intense in the end so I also served some plain shredded lettuce to dilute the flavour a little.

These tortillas turned out pretty well, mostly because of the meat - I tried it at all stages of its evolution and the final stage was definitely the best.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Best tortillas in living memory....though, my memory is fairly poor.