Thursday 21 August 2014

Fish Pie (by G)

I saw a couple of hairy fellows make fish pie on the television a few weeks ago. When I told Biggs I was going to make fish pie she was enthusiastic.  More recently when I expressed the same intention she was much less enthusiastic.  I was pretty sure it would be great so I pushed ahead.
 
I looked over a few recipes but didn't work from one specifically - when I got to the supermarket after work I was in a bit of a hurry and just grabbed whatever I could remember.
 
Unfortunately instead of parsley I bought basil, such was my blind haste. I left that out.
 
The final dish was made by poaching some smoked trout, salmon and prawns in a stock of carrots, leaks, an onion studded with a few cloves, a couple of bay leaves, milk and some packet bonito stock.  The fish and prawns were poached for about 12 minutes, even as they were poaching I knew the prawns were cooking for too long but did nothing about it - as a result they came out like little crescent shaped bullets.  Straining out the vegetables and seafood I made a roux of flour and butter and added the milk/fish broth until it was a good pouring consistency then added quite a lot of cheddar cheese, some dill and black pepper.  The fish, prawns and cheese sauce were then mixed through and added to a loaf tin then topped with a simple mashed potato then oven roasted for about 40 minutes.
 
Traditionally fish pie would be served with broad beans or peas but I liked the idea of a play on fish and chips, so I oven fried some packet chips.
 
I thought the fish pie was going to be good (especially when I tasted the sauce) but I wasn't prepared for it to be quite as good as it was. I think Biggs was convinced that fish pie is a good thing.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I wanted fish pie, G cooked fish pie, I ate fish pie....IT WAS GOOD!

The prawns and smoked trout were a pretty special touch. Not to mention the two starches. Yum.

Yum.