Saturday 30 August 2014

Kuttanadan Goat Varutharachathu (by Biggs)

Whilst it goes against all my principles, I had an excellent reason to get out of bed before midday today.....I had to get started on dinner. I've got a new work buddy whose from Southern India so it wasn't too long before I was hassling her for cool recipes to try and she suggested this one.

I immediately ran into trouble assuming  we had coriander powder and turmeric. I was wrong. Fortunately G was doing a grocery run and was in a generous mood. Also lucky he had curry leaves in the freezer. Crisis averted.

The process was to fry off some coconut, 7 chilies, coriander, turmeric, peppercorns and curry leaves, then mortar and pestle that to a paste. G was critical of my mortar and pestle technique and he was probably right. It didn't really paste up well. But, eventually I gave up and moved on to frying garlic, ginger, onion, tomato and the goat. Then I added some water and put the whole lot in the oven.  
The recipe said 'cook until the mutton is done' so I dumped it in the oven on low heat for about 5 hours. Meanwhile, if you've ever got 17 hours spare look up the difference between lamb and goat and mutton meat on the Internet. The information is VAST!

Once the curry was ready I cooked up some rice and fried some more curry leaves, chili, coconut and mustard seeds as a garnish. G didn't wake up in time for dinner and he was pretty groggy when he did wake up so I'm hoping he hasn't noticed that I ruined our bench top with a turmeric spill

PS: I'm pretty sure Kuttanadan is in Southern India and Varutharachathu means roast. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I just want to offer you a huge thumbs up for the great info you have got here
on this post. I will be coming back to your blog
for more soon.

my web site: lawn dressing johannesburg south

G said...

I liked the bits of chilli and curry leaves on the top - coconut is not my favourite thing ever, and it made dinner quite rich but it was fragrant and nice. The think I most liked was the slow burning aftertaste.