Friday 1 August 2014

Mongolian Pork Chops with Mustard Dipping Sauce (by G)

I wanted to make something different and got fixated on making something Mongolian.

I've read Timothy Severin's book 'In Search of Genghis Khan' and he seemed only to eat either boiled or charred sheeps head whilst in Mongolia so I'm not sure how authentic this recipe is.

I chopped up some pork chops and marinated the pieces in soy sauce, vinegar, spring onions, chilli sauce, ginger, garlic, white pepper, coriander and hoisin - fried them a little then oven baked them.  

The pork pieces got some good colour on them but for additional colour I topped them with coriander and spring onion. To ensure there was enough dinner I served the pork on a simple coleslaw of cabbage, carrot and red capsicum.

The recipe called for a not very complicated mustard dressing - despite not being too complicated it was more involved that I cared to undertake on a on a Friday evening so I simply mixed some Dijon and English mustard, along with some red wine vinegar, though a few good dollops of sour cream.

I probably went a bit over-board with the vegetables but this was a pretty good dinner.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was tasty and satisfying. The sauce tasted nice and garlic-y and dinner even seemed half healthful.