Friday 15 August 2014

Crispy Pork Belly with Noodles (by G)

Well, through some odd co-incidence, both Biggs and I got pork belly on the same day. Below is a picture of my interpretation of crispy pork belly. I didn't do too much with the pork - just scored the skin, sprinkled some rock salt on the top and smeared some Korean BBQ sauce on the meat.

I went with rock salt because one blog I read rationalised that rock salt transfers the heat more intensely to the rind and does not dissolve into the skin and make it too intensely salty. After about an hour and a half the meat was cooked but the skin was not too crispy so I put it under the grill for a few minutes, which seemed to fix that problem.

The Korean barbecue sauce slid off the meat and burned a bit - it didn't do too much for the flavour of the meat so I think I could have left it off with no ill effect. 

While pork belly is a meal in itself I thought I should add some filler - I cooked some noodles and mixed it through some fried cabbage, spring onions, garlic, red chilli, a whole lot of corrander and carrot. Once the carrot was cooked I sprinkled on some soy sauce then added a large quantity of fried shallot from a plastic jar.

The pork belly was really tender and the skin pretty crisp - cutting it was like slicing a fudge brulee, it was not the highlight though... the noodles were my favourite part of this meal.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

The noodles WERE great. I wouldn't go as far as saying it was my favourite part of my meal. There was pork belly served with dinner....that was my favourite part. I think we did equally well cooking the pork belly but G's crackling was pretty special. It crackled up good.

There was however a deathly layer of fat under the crackle. Deathly. I will not be alive tomorrow.