Sunday 10 August 2014

Ribs and Rice (by Biggs)

G and I were trying to psych each other out the other night when we realised we had stumbled into a pork rib battle this week, the topic being "the secret to a perfect pork rib". It turned out his secret is to remove the layer of weird sinewy fat from the back of the ribs prior to cooking. Great tip, BUT, my secret.....cook the pork ribs in beer, and some other things.

The other things were: Hoisin Sauce, water, jalapeƱo, ginger, honey, red onion and, of course, the beer....oh, and Asian BBQ sauce from Burlingtons. I didn't know what Asian BBQ sauce was exactly (and still don't) but, it was listed in the ingredient list, and I found it in our favourite Chinatown store. It was in a mysterious silver can with a picture of a cow in a bib with a knife and fork. It turns out that the reference to Asian BBQ sauce in the recipe was actually what was being made by the other ingredients not a required ingredient itself. My bad, but I added it anyway.

The ribs were also topped with toasted sesame seeds and three types of chilies. I served them with rice because that's the furthest thing from vegetables I could think of. I was quite pleased in the end.

1 comment:

G said...

Yeah, the ribs were pretty good, as ribs are likely to be. I think I can beat them tomorrow though.

The best thing about tonight's ribs was the grainy savoury barbeque sauce.