Friday 23 August 2013

Mobile Food Wagon (by G)

I wasn't too sure what to post for dinner this night because I had a kind of progressive dinner. First off, some excellent dim sum down by the night market in Phnom Penh. Too full at that point to get anything at the markets so I headed back to the hotel for a couple of drinks and some salmon sashimi (I've figured how to almost guarantee Salmon Sashimi is the last thing I eat... move into a hotel above a Japanese restaurant and eat it every night).

I was most of the way through a generous plate of salmon when one of the waitresses presented me with a small plate of food. I'd seen her go out to a hand wagon that had parked on the street earlier.  When she presented me with the plate the chef/owner of the hotel said, 'So unprofessional'. I don't know if it was a criticism or not because there are a lot of unprofessional things that go on in that place (and she also presented him with a bigger plate of food).

Shown are cabbage pickle, cured pork, cucumber, some fried green thing, yellow things, something like fried pieces of sausage and little chunks of an unidentifiable meat. It was all pretty good when dunked in the accompanying chilli sauce.  It is not the best meal I've ever had, but I was touched by the gesture so I think it deserves a place on the blog.


No comments: