Thursday 15 August 2013

BBQ Dried Squid (by G)

To say this was dinner would be an exaggeration - it was the thing I ate when it was approximately dinner time.

As is often the case it was early afternoon and I had spent a hot morning wandering around town and decided it was time for beer. I looked over a string of bar/restaurants by the river and chose the one that looked like it had the best view.  As I wandered in someone said, 'Please join us'.  So I ended up drinking with some guys in their early 20's.  Mr C was the only one who spoke English, his brother Mr Min and friend Mr Sook did thier talking through him. 

We drank some beers, then drank some more beers - had a plate of gnarly chicken fried in a thick batter that was not very good, though it came with fried Kaffir lime leaves which was interesting.

At about 4 o'clock we crossed the river and climed half way up a mountain to visit a big gold buddah then went back into town for some more to drink.  There were boiled peanuts at some stage and later, when the dried squid lady was passing our table I asked if they liked it. 'Yes,' Said Mr C, 'but it's too expensive'.  Turns out 12 sticks were about $1.50 so I treated them.

I've had dried squid before, in Vietnam, and it was about the least pleasant thing I've ever tasted. This was different, barbequed tender, cut into strips and served with a firey chilli sauce. Very good, very savoury - not very sustaining though.

Later there were sugar coated sunflower seeds - they were very unpleasant.


No comments: